Tuesday, April 2, 2013

I Think I Insulted My 85 Year Old, Nonna

Everyone, meet Nonna...
Don't be fooled by her 4'5 stature or that cane she's holding...

For my American friends, "Nonna" is Sicilian for "grandma".  Nonna is turning 85 years old this month, has lived in the United States since she was in her 30's (I think? Maybe 40's, any who) and her English speaking skills are lacking.  Now, don't be fooled for one second!  She doesn't miss a beat and she sure as hell has one crazy poker face.  DO NOT LET NONNA FOOL YOU - SHE UNDERSTANDS EVERYTHING, and she is listening.

Side Note: So, my mom's side of the family is from Sicily and my dad is from Portugal - I like to say that my family is FOBulous..."Fresh Off the Boat...ulous".  The best way I can describe them; have you ever watched the movie, My Big Fat Greek Wedding?  You know the part where the dude is all, "I'm a Vegetarian" and the old Greek lady is all, "That's ok, I cook you lamb."  Yep, the Dias family in a nut shell.  So every year, my family bakes these stupid good, traditional Easter Pies.  They are ri-dic-ulous.  Seriously, your taste buds have never experienced anything like this before.  My mom prepares her own dough, all the various stuffing's and I'm the kitchen helper.  It's a big deal/tradition for our family every year.

So when I came home all, "yeah, I'm like on this Paleo diet challenge and have one more week to go" they are all like, "oh you can't even have butter in your yams???? WHAT KIND OF $^#$@^#$#&* diet is this!?!?!"  Momma D was not impressed at all!  And pretty certain Nonna was not only offended that I didn't touch the traditional Easter pies, but disgusted.  So with that I bring you images of the greatest challenge I have ever faced in my entire life! Ok, that was dramatic, just during this whole 6 week Paleo food challenge...resisting the traditional Easter Pies...

I must warn you, the following images are Rated R...for Ridiculously good looking!  The following images are NOT Paleo..I repeat they are NOT Paleo friendly!


Momma D preparing the dough the Friday evening before the big day


This is called Pizzagaina - it's filled with all sorts of cheese and Italian meats



The final products - veal pies, chicken pies, calamari, spinach....alllll filled with non Paleo friendly items..ughh the torture!



And...more yummy goodness.
Don't be alarmed guys - I have my freezer fully stocked with a sample of all my favorite pies and fully intend on embracing every last morsel next week when this challenge is over.

Then, I'll gladly go right back to my clean eating habits - it is ALLLLL worth it!

What has been your biggest challenge lately?

Go! Fight! Win!

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment